Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Small hole in glass window - what's available for fix?

On 9/28/2011 7:24 PM, Ron wrote:
On Sep 28, 7:01 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:41:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sep 28, 4:51 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:50:17 -0400, Home wrote:
Oren wrote:

De-glaze the glass pane and replace it. Done!

Tony Hwang wrote:

Double pane? The seal is gone now whether hole is fixed or not.
R value near zero. Better replace the panel B4 weather gets
cold.

I didn't think it was necessary to speak to this aspect of the problem,
but some of you would rather bring that aspect up rather than address
the question directly.

You wanted a "fix". The fix to replace the glass pane is one you
didn't like. My suggestion still stands.

Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but are you not the guy that saves money
stealing movies from the Internet?

If I'm wrong I apologize in advance. If I'm correct, spend the money
saved on a sash pane.

Post a picture and we can tell you how to get the sash out and you can
find a local glass shop to take it too.

Ha....if he has a typical wooden Anderson from 25 yrs ago it's
probably an Anderson that you need a router to get the glass out. A
lot of the Andersons from that era (and earlier) built the frame
around the glass!

Okay, I believe the OP is talking about "AnderSEN windows. Not
AnderSON windows.

Anderson& Andesen are frequently mixed up as brand names.

I believe there is only one brand. Andersen. I misspelled it. I just
know that when I first got into the glass business, the AnderSENS that
we had to replace the glass in didn't have any stops. We had to use a
router to replace the glass, and then pay a carpenter to come behind
us and do the rest.

Sigh. BTDT. Spent several months trying to chase down parts for
1961-vintage Andersen crank-out casements when preparing my
Grandmother's house for sale. Never did find all the parts, but found
enough to make the place presentable. Outer panes on those were held by
putty, though- I think they were before the assemble-frame-around-glass
era. The removable inner panes were exactly as described, though.

--
aem sends...