patriarch

Default Shopsmith pricing

"Don" dbitzerATcomcastDOTnet wrote in
:

I'm retiring soon and was also looking at the Shopsmith as I'd like to
take up woodworking as a hobby. If I go the dedicated machine route
instead what do you recommend I get?

Two thoughts, from someone who has been there, and has the receipts to
prove it:

* Find a woodworking class in your area. Adult education, local high
school, community college, something. What you will learn is priceless.
The people you will meet are priceless. And what you will save in buying
blurfls will fund a great many projects, whether they be woodworking
projects, or activities with the loved ones. And you will find out what
you like, and have talent for building.

* You will also find out where/how/what to buy used in your area. Most
good woodworking gear doesn't wear out in a lifetime of use. You very
likely will find some, not all, very serviceable equipment, for the portion
of the hobby that you will discover you enjoy, without having to pay new
retail. There are those in our community who have the the reputation of
being cheap. Think of it as applied thrift.

Good Shopsmiths are available used all of the time. If that is what you
want to use, then the difference between used and new will load up a lumber
rack with some very nice materials.

My talents and resources changed after I dropped the big money on the new
Shopsmith. I took the first of now six classes at the local adult
education, and am now well down the slippery slope.

But is it ever a great slide!

Patriarch