Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Q: Tell Me About Nail Guns

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:51:58 -0500, "
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:28:08 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:50:21 GMT, (Arthur
Shapiro) wrote:

My very talented housekeeper has replaced the crummy baseboards in a couple of
my rooms with nice maple molding. She used a borrowed cordless nail gun that
apparently did (barely) the job, with a few of the nails needing additional
manual settings. But it mostly did a good job.

We liked it so much that I've purchased an additional 180 feet of baseboard,
which happens to be red oak as the maple pattern wasn't easily obtainable
right now from the merchant.

She complained that the nail gun in question was quite heavy and tiring to
use. Plus, it was borrowed.

I'm never one to turn down an opportunity to purchase a new tool. Can anyone
suggest what I need to consider? She was just given a small and inexpensive
air compressor, which seems to run for quite a while to build up pressure. So
I'm willing to purchase a pneumatic gun, but don't know if that's the best
choice - if there's such a thing as a best choice - for this application.
I've never owned a compressor and have absolutely no famliarity with air
equipment, but have no objection to air tools if they are appropriate here.

Advice and guidance welcome.

Art

Good for her! You don't mention the brand name gun she used.

For one project, consider renting a cordless Paslode nailer. Light,
easy to handle BUT expensive as all get out -

Sample:

http://www.paslode.com/products/Trim/Finish-Nailers/

I have a small Porter Cable compressor kit that included two nailers
(brad/finish) and air hose. The finish nailer has more than paid for
the cost of the kit. Never used on oak, except a few small things

I also have a 16ga. and an 18ga. Porter Cable finish nailer. They have both
been very good tools. For a one-time use, I would probably try an HF, though.
My HF framing nailer sucks eggs but the smaller stuff seems to be OK.

Kits:

http://www.portercable.com/Products/CategoryOverview.aspx?catPath=4272.4890

Oak is hard so it is easy to bend nails...

With a nailer?

Umm a mis-fire..not adjusted correctly, it can happen. I oil the guns
with a couple drops of oil before use. I have run a framing nailer of
my small unit. Sinking 4-5 16D 3.5' nails in fascia trim.