Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Small hole in glass window - what's available for fix?

On 9/27/2011 8:50 PM, Home Guy wrote:
Oren wrote:

De-glaze the glass pane and replace it. Done!

Tony Hwang wrote:

Double pane? The seal is gone now whether hole is fixed or not.
R value near zero. Better replace the panel B4 weather gets
cold.

I didn't think it was necessary to speak to this aspect of the problem,
but some of you would rather bring that aspect up rather than address
the question directly.

The window in question is an Anderson window unit, about 25 years old.
I don't recall off-hand how the outside pane is mounted into the wood
surround, but the inner pane is mounted into an aluminum frame that
includes some sort of thin rubber/vinyl seal that presses against it's
side of the surround. There are thin clips mounted into this aluminum
frame that hold the inner pane in place. This is a double-pane window,
but it's not air tight (never was) but I guess it's reasonably
air-tight.

So the short answer to both of your comments is that I'm not going to
replace the broken pane.

JimT wrote:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/ ...

Yea, that's nice. I'll just phone up the port of SHANGHAI and place an
escrow order for a case of "all purpose 50cps automotive windshield
repair".

Uh...you asked "what" it is. If you knew about a little thing called
Google you wouldn't ask such stupid questions.

Somebody said you were a prick. Thanks for the confirmation.