Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Side door - repair or replace

In ,
Higgs Boson typed:
Some months ago I posted this pic of my side door, the
bottom of which had been ruined by watering nearby
shrubs. I tore away loose stuff, looking for ways to
repair rather than replace.

http://tinypic.com/r/j09t3l/7

Among the NG replies was one which said it would cost me
more to fix it than replace it. I always believe the
last person that tells me anything g so I inquired
about replacement. The bid I got from a door guy was
about $340?

On second thoughts, I don't see why I should spend $$$ I
can ill afford, doing away with a perfectly sound door.

I am thinking about glueing (sp?), screwing, nailing,
attaching somehow, a piece of metal (or lumber coved at
the top) that would bridge the eroded portionm and
possibly filling in underneath with Bondo, or?

Sound feasible?

TIA

HB

Sounds feasble.

I used stainless steel sheet as the fill-in for mine and it's lasting like
what seems like forever. Use 2 sheets & put a few vertical bends in it for
added strength. The trick is mounting it reliably: I used a couple pieces of
pt lumber on the door to mount it. Still serving fine.

HTH,

Twayne`