Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default Bathroom GFI question.Can I tap off of it for a shower hi-hat?

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Can someone decipher what all this means? Am I allowed to do this or
not?

The electrical code is mainly for safety, but also includes sort of
"optional" things for more economical wiring (you don't have to
include these devices, etc.), and also things which make living with
your electrical system more practible on a daily basis. However
everything winds up reading like a "rule"! And some electrical
inspectors might go by the "exact rule"...

But... Mainly GFCI's are to protect from electrocution. And that would
need to be for electrical outlets where someone could plug in
*anything*. And things plugged in would tend to be hand-held or cords
handled by people - touched by people. Things plugged in could have
frayed electrical cords, be dropped in water, or anything you can
imagine.

Things which are hardwired like a light fixture can only have that one
device connected to the power. And these (if installed correctly) have
all metal parts grounded. And the hot contact on the fixture would be
out of easy reach when replacing the bulb (if installed correctly).
Thus little chance of someone being electrocuted. And no pressing need
to be GFCI protected for safety reasons.

And GFCI's tend to trip frequently. It might be LESS safe in some
circumstances for the GFCI to trip and also shut off the lighting! In
some buildings there are no bathroom windows, so no light and it is
totally dark. The electrical code rules are for *all* situations.

So in my opinion, it would be ok to protect beyond what the electrical
code requires and place the light on a GFCI as well, however I like to
wire the lighting on separate circuits so you have lighting if an
outlet breaker/GFCI trips. Thus I think it would be better to place
the light on a separate GFCI or a separate GFCI breaker/circuit if you
must. And of course I would check with your electrical inspector first
to see if there is any reason he would not allow this.