Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom GFI question.Can I tap off of it for a shower hi-hat?

As previously metioned in other posts,I am renovating a bathroom. I
am installing a hi-hat in the tub/shower area and I would like this
to be GFI protected, even though I've heard conflicting advice on
whether I need it or not.

My question is can I tap off the GFI outlet by the sink to do this?
This outlet is on its own, and it will only feed this 1 light.

By the way, the hi-hat is a HALO H7ICT, and it says its approved for
wet locations,so I don't really know if I need a GFI, but I figure
just to be safe I want to do it.

*I am afraid that I will have to disagree with the other guys. Article
210.11(C)(3) Exception states: Where the 20 ampere circuit supplies a single
bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be
permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).

Article 210.23(A) Exception states: The small appliance branch circuits,
laundry circuits, and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling unit
by 210.11(C)(1), (C)(2) and (C)(3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets
specified in that section.

Based on that I would have to say that you cannot have the receptacle GFI
protect the ceiling light. I would not put the shower light on a GFI
because I think you will have more nuisance tripping than safety issues.
How easy will it be for someone standing in the tub to touch the 8' ceiling?
Just install a non-metallic shower trim.