Rick Dipper

Default Water damaged chipboard

There *SHOULD* be a joist under the wall. You will probably find that the chipboard is between the joist and the wall.

You may like to check if the wall is damaged. I would cut a hole in the floor, and using a shaving mirror and tourh, have a bit of a poke arround.

Rick

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:35:00 -0000, "Tony Collins" reply_to_group wrote:
Putting in new en-suite

Removed tiles, sink, shower &* carpet.

some of the chipboard flooring is water damaged. I can remove and replace
most of it, but about 6 inches of board comes under the stud wall. The wall
runs parallel to the joists, roughly halfway between two joists. If I cut
the chipboard back to the wall, the chipboard under the wall will be
unsupported.

Is there any risk of the wall using the chipboard for support? (the en-suite
was added at the same time as a bedroom extension - before we had the
house.)

If I cut back the board, is there any (easy?) way of getting support under
the wall?

Alternatively is there any sealant I can get which will soak into the
chipboard and stabilise it (the water damage in this area is not too bad.)

Finally - what is the best way of protecting the floor from water damage in
the future (I will be fitting aqualoc laminate flooring with a water proof
underlay - I could try running that up the walls a bit.)

Thanks all.

--
Tony Collins