Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Wood stove questions

On Sep 26, 10:17*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
We want to add a wood burning stove to our bedroom/house wing. *My wife
thinks it best to go up from the stove, 90 through the wall, and 90 through
the metal awning. *I say a straight shot through the roof with a double
walled pipe with no 90's, much less TWO.

Comments from anyone with experience appreciated.

Steve

Bends are always best avoided.
Two 90deg bends are definately unsuitable.
If the stove has a horizontal outlet,you can go straight out of the
wall and have a tee outside with a cleaning door at the bottom.
If it has a top outlet, straight up is by far best, poorer option
being two 45 deg bends to take it through the wall. Cleaning door are
harder to fit.
Modern high efficiency stoves need insulated chimneys however you do
the job.
The biggest problem with burning wood is tar/creosote. You will need
to be able to access remove the top couple of feet of chimney to
scrape off the tar (it won'tbrush out).

The biggest danger is chimney fires, the tar needs to be removed.
A significant chimney fire could burn the chimney out or even the
whole house.

You will need to make an air inlet to to room where the stove is. VERY
IMPORTANT. It needs to be as close to the stove as possible.
Failure to do this could lead to you being suffocated with combustion
products.

If haven't had a stove before, be warned, it is a filthy time
consuming business.Tell your wife if she wants one she can tend to it.
This is the best move you can make. Believe me, she will soon get fed
up with wood stoves.