Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Looking to valuate residential propane tank

On Sep 27, 12:25*am, gwandsh wrote:
Hi all

We have a residential propane tank beside our rural cabin. *It was
filled, at least partially, with fuel for inspection and testing when
we bought the place about 7 years ago. *We guesstimate the tank to be
150 or 200 gallon - the smaller horizontal cylinder style on
"braces". *We are checking our paperwork, but we believe we were
charged for 100 gallons of propane during the fill/test.

The existing propane heater, etc were in sad shape, and when we
finally replaced them we opted for electric appliances instead. The
propane lines were capped and the tank has sat unused since then.

We suspect we will never use it, and want to either sell it or donate
it to a needy cause. If we donate it, we were hoping to get a receipt
for tax purposes.

We are looking to determine what fair market value would be for a
(call it) 200 gallon tank with an estimated 100 gallons of propane in
it? *Obviously I can guesstimate the value of the propane from local
prices - but can I assume the propane would still be usable, or is
being partially full a bad thing in this case? *Maybe somebody has a
similar tank and can remember what they paid for it initially, minus
the fuel?

Tnx

You may well discover that most of the gas has leaked away anyway over
the years. If the tank has any rust it will be of no value, even
dangerous in fact.