Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Side door - repair or replace

On Sep 27, 1:40*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
Some months ago I posted this pic of my side door, the bottom of which
had been ruined by watering nearby shrubs. *I tore away loose stuff,
looking for ways to repair rather than replace.

http://tinypic.com/r/j09t3l/7

Among the NG replies was one which said it would cost me more to fix
it than replace it. *I always believe the last person that tells me
anything g so I inquired about replacement. *The bid I got from a
door guy was about $340?

On second thoughts, I don't see why I should spend $$$ I can ill
afford, doing away with a perfectly sound door.

I am thinking about glueing (sp?), screwing, nailing, attaching
somehow, a piece of metal (or lumber coved at the top) that would
bridge the eroded portionm and possibly filling in underneath with
Bondo, or?

Sound feasible?

TIA

HB

The reason that door has rotted is more likely to do with weather
getting in that cat flap than watering the shrubbery.
Doors are cheap, the expensive bit is having them fitted.
You would need to take the door off to make a decent repair so you may
as well get a new/another door and fit it.

In the UK we have "Architectural Salvage" places.
=we sell second hand/demolition materials/**** including old doors.
Are there no such places in the USA?