Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Terra Nova

On 9/26/2011 1:16 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
Tonight at 8PM on FOX. I hope it is half as good as the hype.

I'm always interested in "rebuilding society elsewhere" stuff. My interest
in carpentry and building stuff was partly fueled by reading Jules Verne
(The Mysterious Island, 20,000 Leagues) and HG Wells (Things to Come, When
the Sleeper wakes) and even Robinson Crusoe. Around age 16 I really got
the bug and built a darkroom with plumbing(!) - it was plastic, but it
didn't leak - a wall of cabinets in the garage, etc. I really do think that
in a lot of males this "shelter building" stuff is genetic and appears when
guys are of marrying age.

Rueful chuckle. I grew up in construction, so even though I was never a
master carpenter or woodworker (maybe a competent framer at best), I did
have some skill sets. In college, I build a dorm loft bed frame and some
other dorm room furniture for the actual 'girl next door' from back
home, that had come down to the same college a year after me. It wasn't
until a couple years later in anthropology class that I realized in some
cultures, building a bed for someone was pretty close to a marriage
proposal.

--
aem sends...