Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help. House Generator Finally Fixed - - Sort Of

On Sep 26, 4:42*pm, willshak wrote:
on 9/26/2011 11:46 AM (ET) wrote the following:

On Sep 26, 11:17 am, *wrote:
This whole thing is a bit puzzling. *This has been going on
for a while, no? * What are the circumstances where the power is still
out for so long
that you need to run this generator before the tech
can come back with the breaker?

Whether it's safe or not without the breaker would depend entirely on
how it's wired and which breaker we're talking about.

* Any electrician can replace a breaker. *He just needs to have the
right part, which might mean going to a Kohler
dealer. *How long did the tech say it would take to come
back with the part?- Hide quoted text -

The power isn't out.

Then why do you need it now to run the water heater and other loads
right now?

In rural areas where the power wires run along the roadways alongside
trees, power outages are quite common. Cars hit poles, tree branches
fall down, etc. I have a portable generator and I want it to run when,
and if, needed. I test my generator regularly to make sure that it will
work when needed.

Of course they do. I live in an area with poles down the road too.
And yes they are subject to occasional ice storms, hurricanes,or
drunks.
But I've yet to experience a location where I need a generator
available desperately on the chance that power MIGHT be out in the
next week or so while waiting for the company that you have a service
contract with to get a part.
Would you pay someone else to fix your generator instead of just
waiting a few days or a week for the company you have a service
contract with to get a part and put it in?

The whole thing is a moot point anyway as the generator is
running and he can use it. Unless he listens to Twayne of
course.