Posted to alt.home.repair

Default battery on lawn tractor

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 03:47:33 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Sep 25, 11:37Â*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:37:48 -0400, Richard Trethaway wrote:
I've found that batteries dont last as long if they are mounted in
something that vibrates a lot like your average cheapo big-box junk lawn
tractor.

Interesting. What actually causes them to fail? (I mean the vibration,
yes, but what's the actual process within the battery that results in
them no longer working?)

cheers

Jules

sitting for months with tractor not run causes the plates to sulphate,
and the battery to fail.

worse if tractor is stored in a very cold or very hot place, your
typical shed

And true only if the battery goes dead while sitting. A fully charged
battery cannot sulphate (and sulphation has nothing to do with
vibration - which is what the question was about)