Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default ISO double-ended 5/16" hex screwdriver blades with the spring-loadedball bearing on side to lock into handle.

On 9/26/2011 7:48 AM, HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Yes, I know this is trivial, but when I do something dumb it irritates
me. I am (ever so slowly) tearing down my smashed metal shed, using my
cordless drill with a nutdriver bit, and a Fuller 6-in-1 screwdriver
to keep the screw head end from turning. Using that because it has a
nice fat handle, and shaft is short enough that I can reach around the
corners, and 'see' with my fingertips to get on the screws.

All that worked good for about an hour, and then I fat-fingered the
thing, and it flew and bounced. Found the handle right away, but no
sign of the bit. #2 Phillips one end, wide flat blade on the other.
It was only a five-buck screwdriver, but I LIKED it, and it fit my
hand well. I have a couple dozen driver bits, but they are all 1/4"
hex cross section. Does anyone sell 5/16" hex shaft bits? I've been
looking as I run my other errands, but no joy. And nobody around here
carries Fuller (other than pliers) any more, that I have found. Yes,
I checked vendor web site, and the handle style I have is apparently
no more, replaced by something that looks (aside from plastic color)
just like the made-in-China 6-in-1's that Menards sells. I have a
couple of those for the minimalist car glove box tool kits, but the
bits are not the same- magnetic, not the little ball bearings.

I know, if this is the worst thing that happens to me this month, I
am a lucky man. But it is just eating at me, that bladeless handle
staring at me from the tote tray.

Got a big magnet you can sweep through the grass?

Been trying that the last 3 nights, as I take off a few panels after
work. HF magnet-on-a stick, and a toy metal detector. Took the gables
down tonight. Thought I lost a nutdriver bit for a few minutes, but
managed to find it. Gotta stop buying my driver bits and extensions at
HF, I guess- the fit is a little sloppy. Got the bent parts off, mostly,
so the rest should come apart easier. Hard to remove a stove bolt when
the head is wrapped in bent metal.

Hope I get it all down. and find somebody to assemble the new one,
before the first snow. My garage is shoehorn-full with the cars, the
mowers, the snowblower, etc. And my BIL worked so hard on that
Adirondack chair they gave me, I really don't wanna leave it out in the
weather all winter.

--
aem sends...