Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default OT CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

Wild_Bill wrote:
Your point wrt LEDs only having limited directional output is
important, for most of the commonly available types.

**Wrong. Luxeon emitters have been available for many years, with a 120
degree spread.

It was easily seen that filament lighting was omnidirectional, and
very evenly dispersed by internal coatings applied to the envelopes.

The common T-1-3/4 LED is essentially good for a panel indicator, not
a space illuminating/lighting device.
Even the more powerful 1W and larger devices wouldn't throw any light
if not for the lenses and a good reflector,

**Nor does ANY light source, you nong. You may also care to note that I
posted photographs that disproved your last nonsensical claim about such
things. You failed to acknowledge this fact.

The reflector area needs
to be about 30-50x that of the LED lens to throw much light for any
distance (counterproductive for a compact design)..

**Here is a photo of the two torches from my previous posting:

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k497/Zaphod1000/

Look at the size difference. Look at the amount of light "thrown" by each
torch onto a dark wall. Which is greater? Which is the more useful, more
portable torch?

When will you cease making insane, unsupportable statements?

and then the
results are a bright spot surrounded by a much dimmer halo.

**The results are what the designers want them to be.

Also, the higher output devices need to be attached to heatsinks.

**So? The CPU in my computer must be attached to a heat sink. It ain't
rocket science. If I dropped both torches, whilst swtiched on, the LED torch
has a much better chance of survival.

The EE Times article image is half-assed, at best, and where do they
get writers/reporters today?

**This would be a pot, kettle, balck kind of moment. Your half-arsed
comments are now entering into legend. Shall we review them?

They can't provide a link to go directly
to the manufacturers' products that they report on, but instead only
provide a link so you can go look it up yourself.

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/News/..._Advanced.html

This fuzzy image looks like an artist created it.. it might be
expected that the actual construction materials are clear.. I just
hope it's not glass, because every simpleton already knows that glass
production is destroying the planet.
It sorta looks like a hemisphere of LEDs and a reflector/diffuser
over it. There doesn't appear to be any obtrusive heat sinking like
the flying saucer shapes I've seen in the stores lately.
There you have it.. these lights will pay for themselves. Step right
up, folks.
This here is a new Dimension.

The listed efficiency of a 75W incandescent is shown as Zero.

**No, it is not. Read the cite again. CAREFULLY. Don't try to interpret what
is written.

.. but
it's actually 100% or more when it's turned off, and it might only
cost $1 (although I regularly see them for lower prices).

**Sheer idiocy.

So, maybe this is the root issue, that people today are too GD lazy
to turn off lights when they're not being used (doesn't matter that
the govt has strongly recommended it, for years now).

If the efficiency of a 75W IC lamp is zero,

**The efficiency of a 75 Watt IC almps is NOT zero. It is something like 2%
~ 5%.

then watt about a 100W..
minus 25?
It's already been established that the heating value (of the mostly
infrared light) from IC lamps will reduce home heating system loads.

**They MIGHT. In Winter AND if the lamps are placed floor level and/or if
there are some air circulation systems in place. Either way, using IC lamps
for heating is hit and miss, at best. Heat pumps are dramatically more
efficient. By as much as 400%, in fact.

The Chinese (government-backed) factories could likely tool up within
a couple of weeks to closely copy this lamp, or a looky-like the
same, and flood the market.

Since few people are aware of the disclaimer that comes with nearly
every poduct produced today (and for recent decades)..
"Specifications subject to change".

Might wanna get the extended warranty on these new lights.. the
"limited" package warranty might look like swiss cheese.

One of my curiosities will be how tolerant the new LED lamps will be
of line voltage spikes/surges, regardless of what the predicted
lifetimes are.

**Any sensible designer takes such things into account. My halogen
downlights are operated via similar technology to that which drives LEDs.
They're reasonably well protected against damage.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au