Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default Help. House Generator Finally Fixed - - Sort Of

On Sep 26, 11:46*am, "
wrote:
On Sep 26, 11:17*am, Jack wrote:

This whole thing is a bit puzzling. *This has been going on
for a while, no? * What are the circumstances where the power is still
out for so long
that you need to run this generator before the tech
can come back with the breaker?

Whether it's safe or not without the breaker would depend entirely on
how it's wired and which breaker we're talking about.

*Any electrician can replace a breaker. *He just needs to have the
right part, which might mean going to a Kohler
dealer. *How long did the tech say it would take to come
back with the part?- Hide quoted text -

The power isn't out.

Then why do you need it now to run the water heater and other loads
right now?

*The generator failed to do its 20 minute per
week exercise. *It conked out after only 90 seconds. *The tech
diagnosed bad breaker and did a "bypass" fix.
*The company that sold/
services the unit is notoriously slow in getting parts. *They don't
keep any inventory and I just want to know if the proper fix can be
handled by a general electrician. *I don't mind paying someone else,
even though the service is covered by a service contract. *Just want
everything to be done right.

I don't understand the big rush. *You expecting the power to
be out again before they get the part? *In most places, the
probability of that would seem to be very low. *And if they suck at
servce, isn't there another company that can service it and can't you
get rid of these guys?

And yes, any electrician can replace that breaker. *They just
need to get the right part.

The breaker itself is rectangular. *The on/off switch has the number
"50" written on it. *Near the switch it says "10 kA 120/240V."
Thanks, Jack- Hide quoted text -

That would appear to be the main breaker for the generator,
which is likely rated at "10KVA". * *If it were me, and I NEEDED TO
USE IT, I would with the bypass in place. *I would just make sure that
I did not put any load even close to the capacity of the generator on
it. *As long
as you manage the loads you'll be fine.- Hide quoted text -

OK, Mr, Trader, thanks. I'll keep the bypass in place and keep
bugging the co. to get the new breaker.

Been trying for two years to buy a svc. contract elsewhere but all are
for Generacs, except of course my current one. - - Jack