Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default battery on lawn tractor

On 9/25/2011 10:37 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:37:48 -0400, Richard Trethaway wrote:

I've found that batteries dont last as long if they are mounted in
something that vibrates a lot like your average cheapo big-box junk lawn
tractor.

Interesting. What actually causes them to fail? (I mean the vibration,
yes, but what's the actual process within the battery that results in
them no longer working?)

cheers

Jules

in the case of vibration damage, the lead plates (which are kind of like
screens) physically break and lose connectivity with the adjoining cell.
In the case of winter abuse (not keeping it charged in winter) the
dead battery will freeze and the resulting "heaving" of the plates will
break them. Overcharging (common with small cheap charging systems)
causes the plates to deteriorate, and when the electrolyte runs low, the
plate will then "sulfate" and become brittle and break.

--
Steve Barker