Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill[_3_] buffalobill[_3_] is offline

Default battery on lawn tractor

On Sep 25, 8:09*am, (Herb Eneva) wrote:
* *I just had to replace the battery on my #1 lawn tractor. *Since it
doesn`t have a generator or alternator I`m wondering what keeps the
battery charged? * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *I
have found that you get what you pay for. *Wal-mart has a battery for
$24.95 and it will last about 2 yrs. Tractor supply has one for $38.95
and it will last about 4 yrs. I went with the good one.

also, put the removed one on a trickle charge and see if it holds a
charge. that way if the tractor doesn't keep the new battery
recharged you won't have discarded the old battery by mistake.
things to do: you could download the manual for the tractor. you could
find out with your multimeter what the battery voltage should be
parked versus running volts as measured at the battery. for example, a
car used to be 12.6 volts parked, and 13.8 volts running, easily
measured at the cigar lighter socket.