Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Older window AC question?

In ,
typed:
I had a trusty 6K btu LG built Sears Window AC that quit
this year (might be fuse(s) or OLP (can't find them yet).
But when disassembling it I noticed that the squirrel
cage fan and internal ducting seems to be covered in what
to me looks like mold.

A couple of questions:

1) what would cause mold to attach to those areas?
2) is there anything that can be done to remediate the
existing mold? 3) what, if anything, could be done to
prevent this in the future including with new ac units?

Thanks - I'm just curious.

It's likely not mold, but clean & oil anyway.
Preventive maintenance done at end of EVERY season!! It's probably covered
with airborne dust & dirt. Check manual or get a manual. I'll bet you've
let it go untouvhrf for years, right? That's a big no-no. Also clean fins of
dust & dirt & bend back if bent up.