Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Older window AC question?

wrote in message
I had a trusty 6K btu LG built Sears Window AC that quit this year
(might be fuse(s) or OLP (can't find them yet). But when
disassembling it I noticed that the squirrel cage fan and internal
ducting seems to be covered in what to me looks like mold.

A couple of questions:

1) what would cause mold to attach to those areas?
2) is there anything that can be done to remediate the existing mold?
3) what, if anything, could be done to prevent this in the future
including with new ac units?

Thanks - I'm just curious.

Mold is in the air. The blower moves air. AC units have lots of water from
condensation. Mold likes moisture.

Could be mold, could be dust, could be a combination,. Clean filter
regularly, disinfect while you are at it.