Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fwd: Reno Air Race - Probable conclusion to fatal crash

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:57:26 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Beryl fired this volley in news:j5mafu$okn$1
:

All depends on the horizontal stab incidence. I think the trim tab
should be doing very little at high speed.

Yep, and the stabilizer is going to have its incidence angle set to produce
_minimumum_ drag at the desired racing speed.

Therefore, one can almost completely rule out the possibility that losing
the trim tab would have immediately resulted in full-up elevator.

LLoyd

Not according to race pilots I've spoken to. They all say any quick
change in trim can put in excess of 8 Gs load on the plane - and 8 Gs
will turn out the lights just like THAT. Telemetry showed over 12 Gs,
apparently, on the Ghost.