Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Get a plumber next time....

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 23:45:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

They seem to be quite good with basic car fettling.It comes from
running a stash of old cars in the family, back home in the village.

My Pakistani neighbours don't own a car.

The son carries out his business
as a registered osteopath from the house.

OTOH we've had 3 GPs with wives that clouldn't read/write English and
my sister used to run a volunteer English language course for
Pakistani women.

The wife of our local convenience store owner speaks no English and
has to walk 2-3 paces behind him.

Your neighbours would appear to be very rich.

I bought a car valet voucher from Groupon, when I went to claim my
valet I found that the Co. was 100% Pakistani, and only one (the
boss) out of 5 could speak English despite them being in their
mid-20s. This would appear to beg a lot of questions.

IME can't as a rule read or write English even after some years, BTW. The husband

Both he and his elderly parents speak excellent English. And given they
have papers delivered I'd say it's safe to assume they can read too.

At least as far as women are concerned usually if they can't speak the
language they don't learn, the husband simply wouldn't have it.

Derek G