Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_2_] Sunworshipper[_2_] is offline

Default Fwd: Reno Air Race - Probable conclusion to fatal crash

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 04:29:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:51:28 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
m:

The Bernoulli principle ensures that
you'll have blue balls from the effort, though, with all that cool air
flowing over 'em so quickl

Larry, just landing that successfully, and then seeing the wing missing
would have given me blue balls! G

I see no reason why it wouldn't.

I've had one cockpit electrical fire in the air, and one high-speed
malfunction deployment of my landing gear at about 60 knots over the
maximum allowable speed at which to deploy the gear. Neither caused me
any injury -- only a few very tense moments. (Well, in the case of the
gear emergency, it took a half-hour, and three low passes over the tower
in Sarasota to ensure I had everything down and locked. I only had two
lights!)

Yeah, tense. Too bad it couldn't have been a few high-speed buzz runs
past the tower, with all parts in working order, eh?

Dad and I were on an Aero Mexico flight from LaPaz to TJ (our
boys-only vacation one year) and they were out of beer. The way the
pilot flew, I was certain that he alone had drank it all. In TJ, he
nearly overshot the runway, put her down on one wheel, and I could
have sworn he was going to take us into the sand at the end of the
runway. I swear the nose of the plane was hanging over the end when he
pirouetted it in place far enough to get us rolling. That nose wheel
was at 90 degrees from normal all that time. Dad was Air Force and he
disagreed with my estimation of the landing. I gave it 1 point out of
10, he gave it a 3. His reasoning: the plane still had all its parts.

LOL, the air force must instill that type of humor. One time my dad
and I took a commercial flight and when the lady said we can use our
seat cushion as a flotation device my dad turned to me and said ' When
the water comes in I'm going to scoop it up in my hands and inhale,
cause I'm not going back in the sea."

One time I was flying back to Vegas and the pilot must have had to
wait and then get in line, like they missed the first opportunity.
Anyhow, while meandering around lake mead the plane was banking and
pulling up and up and up till I started to worry, then the plane
slipped a bit to the left and then it was corrected like someone
wasn't paying attention. I looked around like someone else might have
noticed that, while I was thinking "Better not stall this thing over
the lake or anywhere else !" As I got off I noticed the pilot was a
short chick at about 30 and shook my head.

Both were simple, non-fatal, not-control-surface, not-engine-failure
emergencies that scared the Sh*T out of me. I handled them, sure --
that's only training. But I can't even imagine how scary it must be to
survive a mid-air, and still retain control!

Oh, no kidding!