Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How often to change batteries in electric powered smoke detectors?

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message ]
On 9/23/2011 9:37 PM, Charlie wrote:
wrote in message
Joe J wrote:

Someday there will be a mains-powered smoke detector with a battery

that
gets charged during normal operation, much like the button battery in a
computer.

I think you will find that the "button" batteries in a computer are

really
non-rechargeable lithium and will need replacing after a number of

years.

Charlie

Way back in the 386 and 486 days they still used ni-cad's. Somewhere
after that they changed to lithium.

That's what I recall. But that said, my Fujitsu tablets use an incredible
rare and oddball string of rechargeable button cells to power their CMOS.
They use 400MHz Pentium and 500MHz Celery processors. Don't know why they
went with rechargeables. I think they expected them to run out of their
cradles for long periods of time. Not looking forward to replacing them as
there's not a cubic mm of space wasted anywhere. Worse than that, things
are packed so tight that the damn units are full of mylar insulating squares
where apparently things got too close.

--
Bobby G.