Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default End mill sharpening, again...

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:34:32 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:50:38 -0800, Jon Anderson wrote:

Have a customer that has a large pile of end mills needing sharpening.
Mostly HSS, but some carbide. We're in northern California, half an hour
north of Sacramento. Anyone know of a competent shop between say, Reno
and the SF Bay Area they'd care to recommend?

They're about to send a batch to a local shop that deals mostly with saw
blades, circular and lumber mill type. At one time they didn't do end
mills, and I wasn't aware that they do now. So I stopped by today to ask
some questions. The guy that does the grinding came out, and soon as I
started asking questions, gets -very- evasive, mumbling, can't remember
the brand of grinder they use, mumbles about how complex the geometry
is, and worst of all, bows his head and covers his eyes while doing his
best to not really answer my questions. I have very strong reservations
about these guys being able to do even a half way decent job.

As for my customer sharpening mills, they just use their mill to modify
parts as needed. They do automation, and sometimes things just need to
be tweaked and modified a bit. Under size cutters are not an issue for
them.

I can't help you much, other than to say that given your description of
the guy's response to your questions, you really don't want them
sharpening your end mills.

Id have to agree.

There are many grinding shops that would love to have the business, who
actually KNOW what the hell they are doing. And with UPS..it could be
done in Alabama as well as 15 miles away.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)