Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Electromagnetic spectrum – illusion and absurdity

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:27:50 -0700, wrote:

AH, but in the third century BC, the Greek scholar Eratosthenes
calculated the circumference and axial tilt of the Earth. Clearly,
over 2000 years ago INTELLIGENT people understood that the world is
round. The fact that some fools did not accept that is immaterial.

The problem is that prophets and scholars are not recognized in their
own time or place. One has to be dead to be appreciated. In the days
when peer reviews were conducted by the church, the publish or perish
dichotomy highly favored perish. In an effort to keep friend close,
and enemies even closer, the church made it mandatory for scholars and
teachers to join the clergy. For example, Isaac Newton was an
ordained minister.

Your attempt to validate the rantings of a fool by using an invalid
argument places you at the same intellectual level as the fool.

I don't think it's proper to be judged by the company we keep,
especially since I've frequently taken the unpopular point of view for
no better reason entertainment value. In the USA, we tend to attend
the political speeches of those we agree with. That's boring. In the
UK, it's popular to attend those of the opposition and heckle. That
makes for a far more lively debate.

It's much the same with science. We tent to read publications that
follow our beliefs, and ignore those that are opposed. That's being
rather narrow minded as much important science has come from obscure
and unpopular places. Similarly, defending an unpopular point of view
is a great way of understanding the topic clearly from all possible
positions.

Bottom line:
Criticize the merits of the argument, not the person advocating it.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558