Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Get a plumber next time....

On 24/09/2011 21:00, Jim K wrote:
On Sep 24, 8:24 pm, wrote:
On 24/09/2011 18:16, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sep 24, 3:16 pm, The Medway
wrote:

She goes into drama queen mode, she didn't expect it to be that much, it
was much too expensive, would I accept 50?

Any guesses as to her ethnic origins?

That's just natural haggling. She'd have been happier if you'd quoted
80, then allowed her to haggle you down to 70. There's no malice or
tight-fistedness in it, it's just habit.

You could try working for my F-i-L. You couldn't find anyone more
ethnically English than him (Midlands / Brummie, probably descended
from Shakespeare, if not Falstaff himself), yet he can haggle the back
legs off a shark. You'd have ended up getting paid 50, buying some
dreadful piece of china from him for half of that back, and still
thinking you'd come out on top.

Not sure if anyone still does this, but my first ever solicitor in the
70's had a rather charming style in his bills. He'd itemise the search
fees, put in the hours and the rate, add them all up and write something
like this

total, 2142-76

But say, 2100

did that make you feel better?

That's why I wouldn't accept less. My standard charge is £45 first hour
or part thereof + materials. If I accepted less it would mean that my
original charge was artificially inflated.