Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How often to change batteries in electric powered smoke detectors?

"Oren" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Works for me. The batteries have an expiration date, do they last
three years?

I had a _3 AM wakeup call_ this past week. Wife gives me another
battery from her secret storage and I put it in. Still beeped.

New battery from the store fixed it.

Take a detector done, remove the battery, beeps more. Disconnected
from the AC power then another one started beeping.

And. Why do they only go off at 3 AM.....

That's when it's coldest part of the day and dying alkaline batteries are
susceptible to the cold. I just opened up a pack of Ray-o-vac 9V I got from
Fry's. One was 3V and the three others were well under 9V. Date 2013.
They're getting a phone call Monday. The 9V batteries are expensive enough
to begin with, but I having to buy them twice? No deal.

--
Bobby G.

--
Bobby G.