Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Beryl[_6_] Beryl[_6_] is offline

Default Fwd: Reno Air Race - Probable conclusion to fatal crash

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Beryl fired this volley in news:j5jp91$cfr$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Knife-edge, he could have used the rudder for pitch control.

I don't think it can be done in that aircraft -- at least not held
indefinitely. That's a maneuver for a Sukhoy.

The P-51 has a generous rudder, but not big enough to hold a knife edge
landing.

I don't think this P-51 pilot had time to be a hero, but I'm imagining
what he might have accomplished given a few seconds to think it through.
The knife edge idea was along the lines of steering away from the crowd,
and cartwheeling elsewhere.

I once read about a quick-thinking pilot making an inverted approach,
then rolling it over just in time for touchdown.

Also, a test pilot unable to break a stall crawled out of the cockpit
out onto the nose to force it down.