Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default OT - No Country For Old Men

On 9/24/2011 12:17 AM, Steve B wrote:

Been sailing lately? That's the important part. Getting ready to build my
boat hoist so I can pick mine up and drive the trailer out from underneath
for some needed mods.

Steve

It's cool, Steve. Context told the tale.
Just trying to put some fun back in disFUNctional...

Yeah! I have a full suit of new sails, so we've been out every chance
offered and trying to get in a lot of different winds.
Last time out was solo in 15 gusting 25.
That kind of day will beat you up!

I think this suit is a good compromise for us. They are cut to 8%
camber (fairly thin for a cruiser) because the boat is so easily driven.

As for metalwork (YEA!) it's about time to get myself back to working on
the trailer. It was finished(?) and delivered some months ago, but
there are a couple of things that need to be corrected before we try to
put the boat on it. Like setting the distance between the aft supports
correctly. They are about a foot and a half too wide.

One thing I want to do it to raise the frame several inches. The
trailer sits pretty low, and hooked up it is noticeably nose up at the
ball.
That also means there is not a lot of clearance at the back end.
(he made it full length of the boat, I guess to protect the rudder, but
31 feet of trailer is a lot to maneuver.
I'm seriously considering removing that aft most bay.
Just don't back the rudder into the curb!

My best idea so far (to raise the frame) is to get some rectangular tube
and weld a section under the frame on each side, thus lowering the axles
a few inches. 4 to 6 inches should level the frame out nicely.

The axles (three swing arm type) are mounted on a sub frame that can be
moved forward or backwards a foot or so to help balance the load.
So the job seems to be within my somewhat primitive abilities right now.

Chop saw, Mig, and grinder.
Basic tools of creation.