Jim Helfer

Default Newbie question - width of glue-up pieces to make table top

mttt wrote:

"Jim Helfer" wrote in message

Tonight I start building the "Limbert Tabourette" featured in 11/03
Pop. Woodworking.

Have fun. I just finished up mine last weekend. Was an enjoyable little
project, for me.

I started the other I'm excited.

cut the boards for maximum happiness with regard to strength and

appearance.

Dunno how strength plays into this - but I doubt it's much of a factor.
Appearance (and convenience) were my two big drivers. My table top was 3
pieces of stock about 6 1/2" wide. My bottom shelf was from two pieces.

This piece will be made of plain-sawn red oak (not the more

So was mine - except for the top. I "splurged" on QSWO for the top.

That's a great idea. I'm going to steal it.

My finish was a "walnut-is" aniline dye then several coats of Arm-OR-Seal
semi-gloss.

Those "captured joints" (not sure what the correct name for them) gave me
some trouble. I had to finesse the fit on them several times before I had
all four legs snug and level.

I'm cutting them now. I've already made one cut too deep, I think.
Oh well, first time on an unfamiliar tool.

Jim