Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Exploring rotary encoder problems

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Mark Zacharias wrote in message
.com...
"N_Cook" wrote in message
Deeper than just saying clear out the grease. 2 in 2 days, first input
selector of an amp , not explored in depth, second vol control of a

music
centre.

First had radial contacts that were slightly staggered and the fixed
contacts were in line , second was exact radial contacts and staggered
fixed
contacts. On the second I took some R measurements before and after.
There are 3 contacts, one common and the other 2 staggered to pick up
CW
or
CCW rotation. Just measuring between the 2 sense contacts as at some

point
they are cross connected, measured 2.5R each of the posistions but very
tiny
position to get this reading. Ladled out and then dissolved the grease,
reassembled and took readings again . Now 1.5R each bridging posistion
and
a lot easier to find that posistion, ie more latitude. I imagine from

the
consistency of the R readings that something to do with deforming or

block
under one of the contacts reducing the contact to a very small area and
then
only marginal connection posistion bridging the 2 contacts. I assumed

the
electronic sensing was one line before the other but perhaps duration
of
both contacts on simulataneously, or not, is also something to do with
normal sensing

Clean the moving contacts and stationary contact area as you would relay

and
switch contacts. Better to replace the control, but this will fix it.

Mark Z.

I've never seen a relay with grease it it. Rotary encoders or the BCD type
ones, it is the grease thats the problem but exactly why it is a problem
is
still not fathomed. I assume a hardening or accretion process that
eventually wedges under a wiper. Why do they not use "dry lubricant"
perhaps
locksmith's graphite as long as in a minute quantity.

The problem on rotary encoders is not so much the grease, although I believe
that is a contributing factor.

Every encoder I've seen with this problem suffers from tarnished contacts.
It's obvious, and you can tell by a simple close inspection. Just like a vcr
rotary mode switch. Clean with a fiberglass brush and De-Oxit. Repeat the
process. Turns tarnished metal clean and bright.

I still favor replacement when possible.

Mark Z.