Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jango2 jango2 is offline

Default CRT TV repair, power supply defect.

On Sep 22, 12:36*pm, Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:00:20 -0700 (PDT), Vernon Paul
put finger to keyboard and composed:

An update on my repair situation. I decided to follow all the
instruction gathered here and some from Sam, beginning with the
easiest first. This is what I got. By reducing the G2 and brightness
all the way down the TV works fine, no shutdown. Even with a decent
brightness and G2 cranked up and decent picture available, it does not
shutdown. However when there is some bright scene there is signs of
tendency to shutdown. When the the brightness and G2 is cranked up too
much it shutdowns. The voltages from the power supply seems to be
stable during the shutdown, not sure about the currents though.

Is the problem more likely in the power supply or deflection side?

Is there an ABL (automatic beam limiter) circuit? I have seen ABL
failures that have caused shutdown.

- Franc Zabkar

Sometimes called x ray protect.