Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Alliance U100 antenna rotor

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I had to, quite a few times to replace the soft seal on rotors that
were 25+ years old. I would pull the rotor, replace the old screws with
stainless, clean and relube the bearings. If it had the open pot to
drive a meter for position I would clean the resistance wire & sliding
contact, and use GC Tunerlube on the wire. Add a new non polar
electrolytic to the control box & replace the old wire between them, and
they would run another 25 years.

Some I serviced were so old that they simply had a lamp to tell you
that the rotor was at the end of it's rotation.

When I was a teenager I found one of those old rotors on the roof of
an apartment house near where we lived in The Bronx. A friend who was
a Ham radio operator gave me an old control box to operate it. The
control box put out the correct voltage to operate the motor but the
system had no position indication. I believe they were mismatched.
This motor had a stop switch and a small aluminum "chock" that would
jam the motor if it tried to go further than 360 degrees. I removed
the chock feeling that it was an unhealthy thing to do and installed
an indicator light circuit wired to the stop switch contacts in the
motor. The light would come on as you approached 360 degrees from
either direction. I'm 65 years old and am still using that rotor/box
combination. Can't say enough about Alliance equipment. Lenny

They were one of the best, along with some CDE rotor models. The
Channel Master/Radio Shack rotors were definitely lower quality. I saw
a lot that were under five years old that were just plain worn out. I
replaced a lot of AC capacitors in the CDE rotors, and worn out or
cracked ball bearings.

I had a spare U100 control box housing, and made a nice test speaker
out of it. A piece of cloth cover wire mesh for the grill over a good
quality 4" speaker, and a line transformer. A pair of DPDT switches let
me select 4/8 ohms or 25/70 volts at a half watt to service the building
wiring of school intercoms.