Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily"
"Trevor Wilson"

snip

* LEDs use a miniscule amount of silicon.
* Incandescent lamps use a very large amount of silicon

Whereabouts ?

** The TW charlatan is being a real clever dick.

Glass is about 23% silicon by weight.

glass is ~75% silicon dioxide.

compare a lamp envelope to a LED silicon substrate,and there's no doubt
about which has more silicon. At least to the rational folks.

So is that *all* glass ? I can't find any reference anywhere to
silicon being a component of bog-standard glass. Is it just naturally
in there, and if so, in what form ? Or is it put in there for some
reason, and for what purpose if so ?

Wiki is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon

Got NOTHING to do with the very nasty polluting and carcinogenic
processes involved in making silicon semiconductors.

Yes, where the silicon has been extracted from whatever ore it occurs
in, and then refined

from Wiki;
Silicon is commercially prepared by the reaction of high-purity silica
with
wood, charcoal, and coal, in an electric arc furnace using carbon
electrodes. At temperatures over 1,900 °C (3,450 °F), the carbon reduces
the silica to silicon according to the following chemical equation:

(not semiconductor-grade Si,that uses trichlorosilane.)

.... Phil

Arfa

--
Jim Yanik

Ah. OK. I never was much of a chemist at school. I didn't realise that
silica sand was was basically silicon dioxide. Although I suppose the name
is a bit of a giveaway, with hindsight ... :-)

Still, even so with that being the case, it's a bit of a distortion to liken
this compounded silicon which is there naturally, to the pure silicon that
has been processed out of the sand, for use in semiconductors.

Arfa