Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default OT CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

BTW: The discussion also involves LEDs. IMO, CFLs are an interim
step. They have far too many drawbacks to be a long term solution.
Incandescents are, of course, no solution at all.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

But actually, what exactly is the problem that we're trying to find a
solution to ? I saw some figures a few weeks ago that said that if
every single light bulb in the UK was changed to a CFL, the total
saving in energy would amount to the output of one small power
station. I suppose that you could argue that any saving is worth
having, but I sometimes think that this religion of 'green' has
completely overtaken common sense, and in some cases, the
disadvantages of a substitute technology such as CFLs, needs to be
weighed against the perceived disadvantages of what it's trying to
replace. The problem with green technology is that its advocators are
often zealots, who seek to portray the alternatives that they are
pedaling as the only solution to a problem which often, only they see.
They never tell the full story behind these technologies, being
selective in the extreme. CFLs are a good example of this, where the
*only* aspects that have been promoted, are the fact that they consume
less energy for the same amount of light output as an 'equivalent'
incandescent - and therein lies a can of worms before we start - and
that they are supposedly longer lived. The huge amounts of
manufacturing processes, and shipping energy for all the component
parts, and all the other hidden energy inputs, are politely ignored.
Not to mention the true disposal costs, if this is done properly. No
one really understands the real manufacturing costs either, because
governments are making sure that the true price is subsidised by
collecting additional 'green' taxes via the energy companies, from the
likes of you and I. If ever these subsidies are removed, CFLs will
become a major expense to a household, unless they use really crappy
quality Chinese imports that give poor light quality and poor starting
characteristics, and are much shorter lived than people are currently
being persuaded is the case.

Arfa

the manufacture of CFLs produces much more pollution than making
incandescent lamps. it probably outweighs any savings from the use of CFLs
over I-lamps.
you don't need -any- mercury in making I-lamps,nor do you need phosphors.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik