Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Mix and match speaker impedance

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:00:10 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi All,

I have a Panasonic SAHT670 that has worked well for quite a few years
and it kinda died. The details are in my other post here "Panasonic
Home theater unit - mods?"

I am wondering if I just buy a new stereo amplifier and use the
existing 5.1 speakers. I have
4 x 6-Ohm - 55-Watt for FR, FL, RR, RL
1 x 6-Ohm - 160-Watt Center
1 x 8-Ohm - 220-Watt Subwoofer.

So here's what I am thinking and ignoring any technical rights and
wrongs of mixing speaker impedance. {grin} I am not an audiophile and
never have the volume cranked up high.

The Stereo amp I am looking at has...
2 x 3-Ohm speaker outputs.
1 Subwoofer 1v-120K (I think it was) output.

What I would like to do is serial and parallel the 5 speakers. The FR,
RR and the FL, RL are easy, but the Center has two tweeters so it is
important for highs I am guessing, so I would like to incorporate that
too.

I can get a 100-Watt plate amp and attach that to the back of the
subwoofer box, so that's easy.

I do not want to buy a new home theater unit as when I installed this
one I made cut-outs in the walls for the speakers and all the units I
have recently looked at, the speakers are too big or the price is too
big for the near enough sized speakers.

I looked at 5.1 amps and/or receivers and they are out of my price
range right now.

So any suggestions here?

I am cross-posting to "sci.electronics.repair" (got yelled at here the
last time I duplicated a post at "repair" and didn't cross-post
instead) Hope I got it right this time.

Thanks

Dave

Hook them up any old way. It's just audio. It doesn't matter.

John