Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sci.electronics.repair sci.electronics.repair is offline

Default Need help with switching power supply repair

Just to add to what Arfa said, the supply to the PWM chip often starts
with a simple resistor feed from the +170V rectfied mains voltage, and
is then augmented by a regenerated supply from a tap on the switchmode
transformer. If this is the case, then there will be a small
electrolytic filter capacitor (~10uF) that often develops high ESR.

- Franc Zabkar

Hi Franc,

I found the 10uf cap you mention and measured the ESR. It was very
high (around 50), so i replaced it with another cap i had around. it
is not a low esr cap and only an 85 deg one, but figured it would be
ok for testing. it measures about 4.5 on the esr meter which is still
a little high (should be closer to 2). I still get the same result
when its hooked up.

-R