Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Alliance U100 antenna rotor

On Sep 21, 6:21*pm, "Dave M" wrote:
Jerry Peters wrote:
klem kedidelhopper wrote:

I used to install the Alliance U100 rotors for all my antenna jobs.
These rotors had 4 terminals that connected to the control box. I
just came across an Alliance rotor that looks just like a U100
however it has 5 terminals instead of 4. I have never seen this
model of Alliance rotor *before. Does anyone know what the purpose
of the fifth terminal was for and if there is any way that this
rotor could be used with a standard U100 four terminal control box?
Someone else suggested that the fifth terminal was for a similar
system as the U100 but it was solid state. If so, was the solid
state circuitry in the box or the rotor? Because as I remember from
disassembling and repairing some of those, inside the rotor were
just motor windings and a stop switch, *I wonder if in fact the
electronics was all in the box and the fifth terminal was just
something to do with the solid state "improvement" to the system,
one could possibly ignore the fifth terminal and just use a standard
U100 ratchet *type box? Lenny

It's not a "stop switch", every time the contacts close, it actuates
the solenoid in the control box & advances the dial by 1 detent.

Jerry

Your 5-terminal rotator unit is likely model C-225. *It's definitely a solid
state control box, and can't be modified to control a U-100 rotor. *The
rotors are different inside; the U-100 rotor having a reversing capacitor
and the motor, the C-225 having the motor and a position-sensing
potentiometer.

Go tohttp://bama.edebris.com/manuals/alliance/rotorserviceand download the
Alliance Antenna Rotor Service Manual and you'll be able to see the details
of both models, and why they aren't compatible.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Thanks very much for that link Dave. I had no idea that Alliance made
so many different types of rotors. In every new antenna installation I
ever did I always used a U100. The funny thing is in all these years
of mixing and matching old four terminal stuff I either picked up or
had lying around I never had a problem getting a box/control combo to
work. But after looking at the schematics I guess I've been extremely
lucky. It's truly a shame they went out of business, They had the best
product for TV in the industry. I never had to climb up on someone's
roof even years later to replace a defective Alliance rotor. The
current Chinese Channel Master is a real POS. I wouldn't even install
one for a customer. Lenny