Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
jtpryan jtpryan is offline

Default Does this mean the wood is ready to turn?

Thank you all. To elaborate, Bill, I meant is it dry enough to turn. I thought wood had to be of a certain "dryness" in order to turn it successfully. I guess where all this is going is patience, or the lack thereof. I do a lot of different things in the shop, and sometimes I wake up on a Saturday and think "I'd like to try turning a small bowl, or plate, or whatever", but I don't have anything readily available. But I do have a Woodcraft store close by and they have these waxed sealed turning blocks similar (I think) to what I've seen in the online ads, but usually a bit more expensive.

So, my question was if I had a couple of these on hand are they generally in a state that I could work with them on the lathe and maybe have a finished product in a weekend? Or am I over thinking the whole thing?

-Jim