Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best practices for trailer electrical wiring

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:51:52 -0500, Ignoramus17765
wrote:

The trailer that I bought, has electric brakes and electric lights.

The lights worked intermittently, such as worked only once or twice.

The electric plug is a two piece job, with wires held by screws, some
wires fell out. Not good enough.

I bought a replacement molded one piece plug with 8 foot tail, and
will use it. What I want is to do a good job rewiring the trailer. I
believe that the trailer body is used as negative ground, which is not
so great when there is corrosion. So I want to be sure that I follow
"best practices" and to know what they are.

Any suggestions?

Stick on a liquid tight box with a pair of liquid tight couplers for
your splice box, then cover everything that water can get into..with
silicone caulk. Above the "bouncing rock line"

Wire wheel under each light fixture and install new bolts, studs or
screws for the grounds. Make sure all wireing is secure using BLACK tie
wraps of a decent size.

Autozone and most other autoparts stores sell flat 4 or 6 wire cable if
you want to go that far. Ive not seen yours..so I cant say if its
necessary to pull new wire or not. Id guess its not..but..shrug.

Oh..and be sure to put at least 2x the wire length you need to hook up
to your truck, then fold neatly out of the way and secure. Someday you
will have to again replace the plug...so its nice to have enough wire
tucked away on the frame so you dont have to rewire the whole thing
again.

Gunner

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)