Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default Best practices for trailer electrical wiring

On Sep 21, 10:51*am, Ignoramus17765 ignoramus17...@NOSPAM.
17765.invalid wrote:
The trailer that I bought, has electric brakes and electric lights.

The lights worked intermittently, such as worked only once or twice.

The electric plug is a two piece job, with wires held by screws, some
wires fell out. Not good enough.

I bought a replacement molded one piece plug with 8 foot tail, and
will use it. What I want is to do a good job rewiring the trailer. I
believe that the trailer body is used as negative ground, which is not
so great when there is corrosion. So I want to be sure that I follow
"best practices" and to know what they are.

Any suggestions?

Do NOT use the vinyl covered wire sold for trailer lights!
The vinyl attacks and corrodes the copper wires inside, and will turn
into junk in a few years.
Use 16-3 SO wire, a separate wire to each light, and use one wire for
ground, and one for tail and one for the signal light.

Never use the frame for a ground. Total waste of effort. over the next
50 years..