Mark

Default Anyone use CAD software to design projects?

Jay Windley wrote:
"Jeff Gorman"

| However, the lines can lack some of the 'character' one can get
| with careful freehand drawing.

This is so ironic. You're not the only one who feels this way. A lot of
people rebel against the austerity of computer-rendered drawings. It's
ironic because of the agonizing practice many of us went through to start
and stop our lines precisely where they were supposed to start and stop, and
to keep the line weights consistent from start to finish. The goal was a
drawing that looked like it had been made by some kind of machine. Now that
machines make most of the drawings, we long for the hand-drawn ones.

You have me laughing out loud.

In the late 70's I took drafting/ mechanical drawing. I did the best I could but
the best I could manage was a C.

Twenty something years later I wanted to take a CAD class and figured I could
use a refresher so I took the basic drafting class.

I was getting 'A's on work that twenty years prior would have gotten me thrown
out of class. (I'm able to 'draw' better but twenty years before a student would
be in deep siht if the teacher saw compressed paper after an erasure, or if the
construction lines weren't *just so*, and God help you if there was any type of
smudge.)

To give this class it's due, it's point was more to teach the mechanics of
drawing and teach us to see what we were drawing and less turning out proficient.

I've seen people who can pick up a pad and pencil and freehand working drawings
that are better than what I can do on a table. I am in awe of this talent. But
is there a difference between their CAD and my CAD? Not really. I think that's
one of my problems with CAD, it diminishes the value of true talent.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)