Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generators

I'm not the OP, and neither is Hay Bub. Here are my
comments.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RogerT" wrote in message
Thanks for the comprehensive write-up. I printed it out and
saved it.

I have a few very basic questions, if you don't mind my
asking.

One is about the car inverter idea. Does that mean that I
could buy a car
inverter and use that to power an oil or gas fired home
heating system
during a power outage? -- and/or maybe a few lights and the
refridgerator?

CY: My last furnace was mostly mechanical. Natural gas, and
would not run on 750 watt inverter. You may need more than
"a car inverter" to run oil furnace.

Another is about the possibility of buying a portable
generator. I have
been thinking about buying a portable gasoline generator
like the ones that
I see contractors using on job sites where there is no
power. I don't know
anything about them, but it seems like that would work as a
way to power an
oil or gas fired home heating system during a power outage,
and/or maybe
some lights and the fridge.

CY: I do have a Coleman 2500 watt generator, which runs the
furnace, fine. If you've got the maint skills (similar to
walking or riding mower) you should be able to have a
generator work fine, for you.

I would have to look and see how much they cost
and what size to get. Since it would be portable, I'm
thinking I could
bring it to wherever it may be needed during an outage (my
home, my
relative's home, etc). If I did that, could you suggest
what size or
type/brand to consider getting?

CY: For me, portable use, 2500 watts is about the max. 5,000
is a bit too heavy to carry around. Quality comes in China
(low), domestic (medium) and Honda (high). I havn't tried my
refrig off the generator, but I know my window AC will work.
For furnace, refrig, and lights, a cheapy chinky junky
should do for a couple hours here and there. I'd watch the
swap sheet and Craigs List for people selling off generators
they bought in panic mode. In the 2500 to 5000 watt range
should serve you well.

And, what does "pto" mean in the part you wrote about
tractors etc?

CY: "Power Take Off".

Thanks.