Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Generators

On 9/21/2011 11:21 AM, RogerT wrote:
Thanks for the comprehensive write-up. I printed it out and saved it.

I have a few very basic questions, if you don't mind my asking.

One is about the car inverter idea. Does that mean that I could buy a car
inverter and use that to power an oil or gas fired home heating system
during a power outage? -- and/or maybe a few lights and the refridgerator?

Another is about the possibility of buying a portable generator. I have
been thinking about buying a portable gasoline generator like the ones that
I see contractors using on job sites where there is no power. I don't know
anything about them, but it seems like that would work as a way to power an
oil or gas fired home heating system during a power outage, and/or maybe
some lights and the fridge. I would have to look and see how much they cost
and what size to get. Since it would be portable, I'm thinking I could
bring it to wherever it may be needed during an outage (my home, my
relative's home, etc). If I did that, could you suggest what size or
type/brand to consider getting?

Lot of sites discuss this. Here's just one that I found when I looked
up capacity of car inverters:

http://tinyurl.com/3lbapnu

There are numerous sites that detail general wattage requirements for
what you want to run and you also need to consider starting watt
requirements. Generators will be sized for continuous and starting watts.