Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

"Jeff Urban" wrote in message
The low brighness when cold is not due to low PS voltages or current,
it is due to the fact that it takes time for the gas to get it up
completely.

Many years ago when CFLs were expensive enough to be worth attempting
repair, I had a batch with electro' failure being the most common cause.

The part in question being 4u7 400V which I didn't have any in stock (not
small enough to fit anyway) so as an experiment I superglued 5x 1uF X2
capacitors round the outside and wired them in - can't get much lower ESR
than that.

There was no noticeable improvement in the lamp's behaviour, other than it
lasted almost the claimed life expectancy before the tube gave out.