Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Fecking freezer door left ajar ...

Jim K :
On Sep 21, 1:14 pm, Mike Barnes wrote:
Jethro :

Grrrr ... about 200 worth of food wasted ....

Does anyone know if you can get some sort of doohickey you can leave in
the freezer which will sound an alarm if the temperature rises ? I know
cold kills batteries, so have no idea how it could work.

You can buy them, e.g...

http://digitron.co.uk/product/10/wir...wireless-digit...

...but IMO a temperature sensor isn't the right solution for this
problem.

I made (this *is* uk.d-i-y) an alarm device that senses if the door is
left open, even slightly open, for more than a couple of minutes.

[...]

neat! why dont they build em in FFS?

They do, kind of, but because they're lazy/cheapskates/incompetent they
put the sensors on the hinge side. Which is OK for detecting a door wide
open (who needs that FFS?) but completely useless for detecting a door
open only a few mm because a drawer isn't pushed fully in.

I do wonder sometimes why it is that manufacturers so often fail to
address the problems that real users have - problems that are not
exactly new. Why do they make kettles with switch-off thermostats that
take several minutes to reset? Why do they make teapots with spouts that
drip? Why do they make trousers that lose all your change when you sit
in your car? It's not rocket science.

--
Mike Barnes