Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Generators

Frank wrote in
:

On 9/21/2011 8:22 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
m:

Having enjoyed about one-third of our lives on generator power, we
decided to enter the discussion.

Thanks for the informative and comprehensive post. The difficulties
you point out have indeed prevented me from going forward with
getting a gen set. That and the uncertainty what capacity I really
need, e.g. should it be able to run my whole house A/C?

Decent post but not aimed at occasional needs that I have.

To test it by running under load for a half hour twice a month would
be a PITA and use more gas than I usually use in a year.

Also if I ran mine full time, it would cost $900 to 1,200/month
depending on price of gasoline. Not to even count oil changes
specified every 25 hours. Plus, it is only big enough to power half
my house.

I run mine every couple of months just to clear gas in carburetor and
sometimes under load to run yard equipment.

Indeed. The bad, but not terrible outages we've had here have occurred
about once a year the last 3 or so years. I'm not going to run a
gasoline hog once a month just to make sure it'll work right. That's why
I'm looking really only at NG or propane. As I said, my plans are fueled
by fears that at some point in the future we'll be without power for days
on end in the middle of winter. I know that is highly unlikely, since we
are in a very densely populated area, but somewhat away from the flood-
prone part of town. I expect PSE&G to re-connect us sooner than people
out in the boonies.

--
Best regards
Han