Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bobvalli@NOSPAMcomcast.net is offline

Default Homebrew emergency power system - advice needed please

Hi

I could use some feedback regarding a brainstorm of mine. I'm in the
process of building an emergency power system for home use.

The main questios are regarding supply and re-charging.

For the supply, for now I'm using 12V starting batteries. The plan is
to pick up 2 (or possibly 4) 6V 156Ah golf cart batteries.

For the charger I mated a 63A Delco alternator with internal 12V
regulatioin to a gas snowblower engine.

I want to use a 1500W inverter to supply about 180 watts of AC, 8x IR
LED surveillance cameras, and about a dozen 20mA LED lamps for
emergency lighting all operating at their native 12VDC

The questions a

Would I be able to use my alternator/generator to charge the golf cart
batteries without damaging them?

Until I'm able to get the golf cart batteries, would the couple
starting batteries I have work OK?

TIA

Bob